TVEA is the union that represents Certificated Employees in the Temecula Valley Unified School District. It exists primarily to protect and advance the professional and economic interests of its members.
TVEA as a local association of CTA ensures members a number of benefits:
- Legal Protection: members receive a Professional liability policy with coverage up to $1 million in professional liability insurance and access to more than 40 different law firms offering free consultations and discounted fees on various personal legal services.
- Member Rights: as your bargaining representative, TVEA is your advocate when negotiating contracts and providing resources to defend your rights.
- Member Benefits Program: Disability Insurance, low rates and substantial discounts on home loans, personal, life and car insurance, merchandise, travel, legal & credit union services and discounted LA Fitness gym memberships are some of the valuable benefits included in your membership.
Occasionally unit members have concerns with political decisions made by the local union or CTA/NEA. There are options that you may take that have varying ramifications.
- TVEA Active Member.
- TVEA Active Member Opting Out of the CTA/ABC Funds.
- Agency Fee Payer
- Religious Objector.
Option 1. TVEA Active Member Have completed & signed a membership form.
Full member of the Association, paying unified dues to TVEA/CTA/NEA. Members are covered under the $1,000,000 Educators Employment Liability coverage, have access to legal representation, are eligible to run for and vote for Association officers, are eligible for CTA-sponsored insurance programs and other membership benefits. Membership supports our colleagues. Ability to represent all bargaining unit members with the District is strengthened by membership.
• Member is an Active TVEA/CTA/NEA Member contributing their dues to both the General Fund and CTA/ABC Fund. Monthly dues are deducted from Paycheck.
• New Certificated TVUSD employees can join the union by filling out a Membership Enrollment form. This form is available on the TVEA website www.tveducators.org or may be picked up at the TVEA office or the HRD Office at the district.
Option 2. TVEA Active Member Opting Out of the CTA/ABC Funds. Have completed & signed a membership form.
Member is an Active TVEA/CTA/NEA Member but chooses not to contribute their dues to the CTA/ABC Fund. The CTA Association for Better Citizenship (CTA/ABC) Committee administers the political action fund of the Association in accordance with policy set by the State Council of Education. The committee accepts applications for campaign assistance from local chapters to assist in school board races, local bond measures and other initiatives. 2.9% of your CTA dues go to the CTA/ABC Fund.
• All Membership Rights and Benefits are in tact with this option.
• This is the best case and safest scenario if you do not agree with the political decisions of TVEA/CTA/NEA.
• New Members can opt out of the CTA/ABC Fund by bubbling in the Opt-Out portion of the Membership Enrollment Form. Current Members can fill out the General Fund Allocation Form or email
. Email must state they would like to Opt-Out of the CTA/ABC Fund.
Option 3. Agency Fee Payer Have not or do not want to complete a form.
In lieu of membership, agency fee payers pay monthly unified dues equal to TVEA/CTA/NEA annual dues. Agency Fee payers receive the right to receive a rebate of the fee equal to the portion that represents political or ideological spending on the part of the local, CTA and NEA that is not related to collective bargaining or employment matters.
• Agency fee payers are not a member of the local, cannot hold office or vote in local elections. They forfeit access to union representation – your Weingarten rights and legal representation. They do not receive the valuable membership benefits of Disability Insurance, low rates and substantial discounts on home loans, personal, life and car insurance, merchandise, travel, legal & credit union services and discounted LA Fitness gym memberships.
• Members who would like to become an Agency Fee Payer must complete an Agency Fee Payer form which is available at the TVEA office.
Option 4. Religious Objector Have applied and received Religious Obector status.
If you are a member of a religious body whose traditions, tenets or teachings include objections to joining financially supported employee organizations you may opt out of TVEA membership.
Religious Objector status as stated in the Coordinated Bargaining Agreement between TVEA and TVUSD:
4.3 Any unit member who is a member of a religious body whose traditions, tenets or teachings include objections to joining financially supported employee organizations shall not be required to join or financially support the Temecula Valley Educators Association, CTA/NEA as a condition of employment; except that such unit member shall pay, in lieu of a service fee, sums equal to such service fee to one of the following non-religious, non-labor organizations, charitable funds exempt from taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of Title 26 of the Internal Revenue Code: Temecula Valley Scholarship Foundation, Promising Christmas, United Way, Red Cross, Assistance League, Community Pantry, or other charitable organization as mutually agreed upon.
4.4 Proof of payment and a written statement of objection along with verifiable evidence of membership in a religious body whose traditions, tenets, or teachings object to joining or financially supporting employee organizations, pursuant to the Association and District as a condition of continued exemption from the provisions of Sections 4.1 and 4.2 above. Proof of payment shall be in the form of receipts and/or cancelled checks indicating the amount paid, date of payment, and to whom payment in lieu of the service fee has been made. Such proof shall be presented on or before October 30 of each school year.
• Religious Objectors are not a member of the local, cannot hold office or vote in local elections. They forfeit access to union representation – your Weingarten rights and legal representation. They do not receive the valuable membership benefits of Disability Insurance, low rates and substantial discounts on home loans, personal, life and car insurance, merchandise, travel, legal & credit union services and discounted LA Fitness gym memberships.
• To become a religious objector please deliver to the TVEA office your proof of payment and a written statement of objection to membership in TVEA/CTA/NEA. In lieu of payment of dues or agency fees, Religious Objectors pay the equivalent of full unified dues to a non-labor, non-religious charitable fund which is exempt from taxation under IRS Code 501 ©(3).
To calculate the required payment, multiply the total monthly amount of TVEA/CTA/NEA dues that is taken out of your paycheck by the number of months left in the school year. Example: If you become a Religion Objector in December, Sept – Nov dues have been taken out. Your payment would be 7 months (Dec – June) x the monthly rate.
If you have any questions regarding your membership status, please contact the TVEA office. 951-699-9970.